Taco Monday



I know it's supposed to be Taco Tuesday, but tacos are an every day food and this week it happened to be Monday. Given that I eat no grains, any sort of taco shell you can buy at the store is out. I could just make a taco salad with meat, veggies, and toppings, but sometimes you just want that extra crunch. I had seen an idea on several FB groups and Pintrest for cheese shell tacos.

Cheese is surprisingly versatile- you can make all kinds of LCHF friendly swaps with cheese (pizza crust, chips, taco shells, etc). To make the cups we decided to make Monday night, you start off with your favorite cheese. I made mini cups, so shredded cheese worked great, but if you want a larger cup you might want to use sliced cheese. I greased a baking sheet well and made 12 little piles of cheese. Then I popped it in the oven on broil. The cheese is going to melt, but don't pull it just yet. After melting comes bubbly. You want to wait until the whole pile is starting to brown, but before it's completely golden brown because you still want it to be flexible. Once you reach that stage, pull the pan out. I took each disk of melty cheesy goodness and put it over an inverted mini muffin tin. I had to stretch the disc a bit to cover the tin. Then you let them cool and they'll harden enough to hold their shape. After that, you just fill them with your favorite filling (beef with taco seasoning, sour cream, cilantro, and  bit more shredded cheese for the ones above) and enjoy. They're crispy like a taco shell but without all the carbs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backstory (long!)

Low Carb Cinnamon Rolls