Cheesecake for Breakfast



Breakfast on Keto is especially tricky. You don't realize how carb-ladden the first meal of the day can be until you try to take all the carbs off. Cereal's out as are toast, donuts, oatmeal, bagels, and most smoothies (unless you have time to make Keto versions of those items, which I do on occasion). Most pre-made options and frozen meals are out (potatoes everywhere!), even fast food isn't a good choice unless you're willing to throw away perfectly good biscuits or wraps just to eat the filling inside (which I also do, although I hate wasting food). A few restaurants like Krystals offer low carb options, but they're expensive and eating the same thing gets old fast. There's always the option to make something fresh each morning, but with 2 kids to get up, ready, and out the door, that's not a viable option for me. Therefore, I need something I can make in advance that doesn't need more than a quick reheating when I get to work. Almost all of the keto-friendly breakfast options center around eggs, meat (usually bacon), and cheese. Don't get me wrong- I love all 3 of those ingredients, but eating the same thing over and over, even if the format changes, gets old. I could always do what some recommend and ditch the idea of "breakfast food" and eat leftovers for breakfast, but I am one of those weirdos who doesn't want to eat dinner for breakfast (although, breakfast for dinner is acceptable in my book).

After much time spent searching Pintrest for something different that wasn't bacon and eggs, I came across a recipe for cheesecake muffins. I love cheesecake, and although it isn't necessarily a traditional breakfast food, it does feel like it fits in the breakfast niche to me (cheese danishes and cream cheese on bagels are close to cheesecake, right?!?). The best part was that the recipe called for ingredients I already had, so I didn't have to go buy anything that I may or may not use again. The amount of food made was perfect (it was actually too much, so I halved the recipe)- I could make the recipe on Saturday or Sunday and have breakfast ready for the week. So I decided to give it a try.

I'm incredibly lucky to have a wonderful husband who frequently cooks for me, so one afternoon I sent him the recipe (I texted it to him since I was halving the recipe and modifying a few ingredients) and he was kind enough to make it for me. I didn't realize until later when he pointed it out that I didn't tell him WHAT he was making, so I was particularly impressed that it turned out so well considering the final product was a mystery.  The first time we tried it, I substituted the maple extract the original recipe used for lemon extract because that's what I had and I love lemon. It was delicious! I took 2 or 3 muffins and a cup of coffee for breakfast, and I wasn't hungry again until lunch. 

The next time he made the recipe, my husband used almond and lemon extract instead of vanilla and maple. Let me just tell you- this is THE winning combo in my book. I love almond flavoring in my sweets, and the lemon and almond together really make it taste like cheesecake!

So now, the part you've all been waiting for....the recipe. I like I said above, I usually half it. I also only use 1/3 c sweetener (so 2/3c if you were making the whole thing)..I use Splenda b/c we have a bag that needs using up, but I'm sure any Keto approved sweetener would be fine.

Here's the recipe for Keto Cheesecake Muffins! Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taco Monday

Backstory (long!)

Low Carb Cinnamon Rolls